Youth Sports and Education
SMNLB Committee: Ronald Briggs and Dawn Jones
SMNLB YOUTH ADVISORY BOARD - YAB
Calling All Interested Youth:
What We Want
The Hubert V. Simmons Museum of Negro Leagues Baseball, Inc. (SMNLB), is forming a Youth Advisory Board (YAB) to assist us in generating new and exciting ideas that will take the museum, its programs and activities to a new level. To that end, we are looking for youth who can assist us in our endeavors while at the same time, enhance their educational experience. We are seeking twelve (12) serious, talented youth, ages 13-18, with an interest in sports, history, and/or business management.
Who We Are
SMNLB, formally known as the Negro Leagues Baseball Museum of Maryland, Inc.; was incorporated in the State of Maryland in 2008. It is recognized by the United States Internal Revenue Service as a Not-for-Profit 501(c)(3) Corporation. SMNLB operates exclusively as a charitable, educational, historical, and cultural entity intended to promote and encourage interest and knowledge regarding the history and legacy of the Negro Leagues' baseball era. SMNLB maintains an edifice designed to exhibit collections of materials, artifacts, and memorabilia of the Negro Leagues; and implements a variety of projects, programs and activities designed to inspire and uplift youth and the community at large.
What Will YAB Do?
Although the list is not exhaustive; YAB will be involved with the following activities.
- Suggesting and assisting in the creation of programs that appeal to youth,
- Developing various social media that will inform youth of the history of the Negro Leagues, and why they are still relevant.
- Serving as ambassadors to promote the museum, and the need for youth involvement in baseball.
- Developing a scholarship program to allow youth to continue their baseball involvement by covering costs for equipment, participation in and travel to tournaments, etc.
- Developing or linking with a scholarship program geared towards defraying expenses for players at the collegiate baseball level.
What is in it for the Youth?
Membership on the SMNLB-YAB will benefit the youth by.
- Exposing the youth to great connections and networking opportunities.
- Developing and/or enhancing leadership skills.
- Cultivating personal growth.
- Enhancing resumes for employment and education.
- Fulfilling educational learning service hour requirements.
- Experience working with a 501(c)(3) Corporation Board of Directors.
Our Board of directors will consider each proposal generating from YAB, and will implement as much as possible. We will provide a safe forum, with Covid 19 considerations. Adult team leaders will be present at every meeting.
The adult team leader of YAB is Jalen Burks. Jalen played four years of collegiate baseball at Neumann University. Since graduating, he has worked professionally in baseball for the past five years, from ticket sales to sport development with USA Baseball and coaching at various levels. Currently, he is with the Washington Nationals Youth Baseball Academy as their Coordinator of Elite Development.
How to take advantage of this wonderful opportunity:
Becoming involved is simple, just email Jalen Burks: Jalenburks94@gmail.com with the youth's name, age grade, school and contact information. The youth candidate is required to write a paragraph no more than 500 words in length. The youth should include anything he or she would like us to know including any interest/hobby and the reason he or she would like to be a member of The Hubert V. Simmons Museum of Negro Leagues Baseball Youth Advisory Board.
We sincerely hope you can assist us with this effort. Please feel free to pass this information on to anyone you feel may be able to provide us with the names and contact information for potential YAB members.
If you have any questions, please email Jalen or call SMNLB at (410) 597-9797 or (410) 597-9699.